American Sniper drama film break box office records in January, otherwise thriller Blackhat narrowly failed to enter the top 10.
Latest movie plots veteran filmmaker Clint Eastwood, American Sniper unexpectedly earlier scored a record at the box office. With the release of widely since Friday, January 16th and at more than 3500 screens in the United States and Canada, the film biography drama set in the Iraq war is making a total of 89.2 million dollars up to January 18, thus placing it at number one at the weekend . Coupled with the January 19 which is the holiday of Martin Luther King, Jr. Day, American Sniper managed to earn 107.2 million dollars in four days.
In addition to the story based on a true story, also figure Eastwood and famous actor Bradley Cooper, the film is expected to be supported explosion factor that gets Oscar nomination. This film won six nominations, including Best Picture and Best Actor for Cooper. However, other factors are considered more crucial is the release strategy. The film is only played in four screen for three weeks since mid December 2014, so waiting for this movie is getting great when finally released widely.
Thus, American Sniper record as the beginning of the film the highest income in January of all time. The previous record was held by comedy Ride Along, which stood at 41.5 million in the same period in 2014.
Meanwhile, Star Ride Along, Kevin Hart has not managed to repeat his feat at the box office this year with his latest film, The Wedding Ringer. The film was only able to achieve revenues of 20.6 million dollars in its first three days, so had to settle for second place. British family film, Paddington apparently managed to attract many spectators at the weekend yesterday. The film was sitting in third position with earnings of 18.9 million dollars in its first three days.
On the other hand, crime thriller, starring Chris Hemsworth, Blackhat failed miserably at the box office last weekend. Film by Michael Mann were partially filmed in Jakarta, Indonesia was only able to reap 3.9 million dollars in its first three days, making it sits at 10. This is obviously a very small number when considering the cost of production amounted to 70 million dollars, also the fact that the film is aired on more than 2,500 screens in the US and Canada. This movie can be translucent projected total revenues over 10 million dollars for broadcast in the US.
Here is a list of the top 10 US and Canadian box office for the weekend 16 to January 18, 2015, based on data from Box Office Mojo.
- American Sniper- 89.2 million dollars (92.6 million total)
- The Wedding Ringer - 20.6 million dollars (20.6 million total)
- Paddington- 18.9 million dollars (18.9 million total)
- Taken 3- 14.7 million dollars (63.5 million total)
- Selma- 8.7 million dollars (26.4 million total)
- The Imitation Game - 6.8 million dollars (50.4 million total)
- Into the Woods - 6.7 million US dollars (114.5 million US dollars in total)
- The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies - 4.9 million US dollars (244.5 million US dollars in total)
- Unbroken - 4.2 million (a total of 108.5 million US dollars)
- Blackhat - 3.9 million (total of 3.9 million US dollars)
- Blackhat movie, Taken 3, and The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies also being aired in cinemas Indonesia.